Friday, July 6, 2012

Texas Farewell Tour

It's July! I only spent one day at home after the Minneapolis road trip before hopping in my car to take off, solo, to Austin. The seven-hour drive out there isn't so exciting, but it's mostly traffic-less and was in an odd way, pretty relaxing after the last unfamiliar, tension-filled twenty-hour journey with my mom just a couple of days before.

I took off so soon after getting back home in order to make it to some friends' wedding, which was casual and a lot of fun. Several of my former housemates from the cooperative that I lived in for a year showed up, and it was satisfying to catch up on the latest gossip news. The reception was a potluck, which meant lots of tasty food, plus something that I ate that I later determined was a pork rind. I spent a few days at my friend's house, ate delicious food, and actively enjoyed not being in Lubbock.

I'm currently in the land of Texas A&M, visiting another good friend who keeps on feeding me delicious homemade food. We marathoned both seasons of Game of Thrones in three days (Legally! I have HBOgo! So don't sue me!) and have started planning how to celebrate Scalia's future retirement complete with party games like, "Who said it? Scalia or some other random dickbag?" This all stemmed from me reading some particularly ridiculous excerpts of Scalia's dissent in Lawrence v. Texas, which was quoted in Flagrant Conduct, a book by a U of M professor who, after reading this book, I am crossing my fingers that I get for Constitutional Law. (If you'd like to get in on the party planning, here is the pinterest board for it.)

I am popping back to Austin for another couple of days, in order to hit some spots that I missed last week (Barton Springs!), hang out with friends a bit more, and to get some delicious peaches to bring back to my family in the unfortunately-peachless land of West Texas. 

Unrelated to all of this travelling, a friend of mine was recently featured on Above the Law for creating a indiegogo campaign (kind of like kickstarter) in order for family and friends to help contribute to her first semester's tuition. The original article is snarky, but the comments are fucking terrible. I'm not sure if ATL has a comment policy (and am a little too lazy to go looking for it at the moment), but the sheer douchebaggery in the comment thread makes pretty good case for having one.

No comments:

Post a Comment