Thursday, June 7, 2012

It's 3 am. Clearly the time to learn about the LSAT and psychometrics.

Here's a confession: I really like the LSAT.

And it's not just because I did pretty well on it or because I get money to teach it now, though those definitely don't hurt. I think it's a pretty cool test that not only does a good job predicting law school success (compared to other standardized tests, at least), but also is a test that requires you to develop logical reasoning skills that are good to have in the outside world. But as a side effect, you start to become really annoying to your friends and family because you start using the word "assumption" in your conversations 500% more than any normal person would. At one point, I even started to evangelize for the test, in a way, by challenging non-LSATing friends to do some logic games with me. Yeah, I was that person. (But seriously, logic games are fun puzzles when you don't have your future riding on them.)

Despite that first paragraph, this isn't meant to be a love letter. I started writing this because I came across a really interesting video of a UVA professor talking about the psychometrics of the LSAT, the score gap between black and white people, and how law schools actually use LSATs in admissions decisions and beyond. And here that video is, if you're interested in watching all forty-two glorious minutes of it:



As interesting as I find this, I'm going to have to take care that I don't become the person who still talks about the LSAT in law school.

Sidenote: isn't psychometrician a cool-sounding word? If the whole law school thing doesn't work out, I might have to pursue that line of work solely for the awesome job title.

No comments:

Post a Comment