Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Minneapolis Road Trip 1

Tomorrow morning at eight, I'm headed up to Minneapolis with my mom for apartment hunting/general sightseeing adventures. Hopefully that will go well; I think the most difficult thing will be to craft a playlist that both of us enjoy, or at least, both of us can tolerate. I think my best bet may be to stock up on podcasts rather than music. I always think I've found a relatively safe piece of music, and somehow it still manages to get on my mom's nerves. Example: Feist's 1234. It might be overplayed, but it's about as inoffensive as a song can get. Reaction from my mother: "UGH, WHAT IS THIS? THIS IS HORRIBLE."

The more-than-halfway-point for us is Topeka, and then the next day we'll get into Minneapolis and I will get the first glimpse of what non-Texan life will be like. I just hope the drive up is relatively free of music-related drama. Pictures to follow! I hear that the drive isn't exactly, uh, scenic or anything, but I'll still get to see some states I haven't been to yet.

In other news, I finished up teaching my last LSAT class last week.It was kind of strange to teach a class full of people that were so close to my age, but I really enjoyed it after that initial strangeness wore off. I've also gotten a lot better at public speaking since my first class back in October, which I think will be a big plus for law school. I definitely didn't start out with very much confidence; I remember the first class pretty vividly because it was also the day a gigantic wall of dirt (technically called a haboob) descended upon Lubbock. People were using the descriptor "apocalyptic" a lot that day. So, I was already nervous, and then my car was enveloped in dirt, and I wondered if I had made a serious error in judgement by not seeking indoor shelter. I spent about half an hour in my car, alternatively tweeting, checking websites to determine whether or not a tornado was going to carry me to my death, and attempting to get in touch with my boss in Dallas, who had no idea about what was going on, but whom I'm pretty sure thought I was grossly exaggerating the severity of the dust storm. I managed to get to class after the worst of the storm had blown over, and started off the whole thing rushed, nervous, and with dirt in my teeth. Fun.

This teaching job ended really well, though, and I'm really happy I stuck with it even when I doubted my abilities in the beginning. And it definitely was ten million times better than my other post-college gig, my baristaship at a well-known but now defunct bookstore. But really, anything is better than getting a stern talking to for not selling enough membership cards (which a couple of months later would have been useless anyway).

So, I'm sad to bid goodbye to my LSAT-teaching job, but I'm also happy at the prospect of finally getting rid of the massive prep books and having some free bookshelf room again. Well, come to think of it, that space is spoken for already. That's where my new massive books for law school will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment